Regulatory Law Barrister specialising in licensing, healthcare, criminal defence and professional discipline law.
- Barrister of over 10 years’ experience
- Specialist in serious crime, complex fraud, licensing and regulatory law
- Joint Head of Chambers, Kings View Chambers: Head of Finance and Administration (HOFA) and Strategic Lead on public access work
- Approved lecturer and assessor for professional skills courses and higher rights programs for BPP
- Specialist editor for Private Hire Taxi Monthly (PHTM)
- Consultant Counsel to Messrs. Ennon & Co Solicitors with specific responsibility for financial crime, internal education and auditing
- Marketing Partner of Clerksroom Direct
Stephen McCaffrey is a busy practising barrister with a proven track record of success and years of experience. I consult and defend in all areas of criminal defence, licensing and regulatory work achieving most successful results in pre-court stages. Experience drawn from involvement in major criminal trials and licensing challenges has acquired Stephen outstanding legal ability and advocacy.
Stephen McCaffrey is Head of Chambers at Kings View Chambers. This is recognition of his huge success in his area of work. It also means he has great resources at his disposal. Stephen has several business interests outside of the Bar so is well aware of the need for focus on results and practicalities. The result is all that matters.
- Lecturer at BPP: Advocacy and Communication Skills; Client Care; Criminal Higher Rights Evidence and Litigation; Criminal Higher Rights Advocacy; Civil Higher Rights Advocacy and QLTS Advocacy
- Assessor for BPP: Criminal Higher Rights; Civil Higher Rights; Criminal Higher Rights for the Specialists Prosecuting Authority and Higher Rights Exam Board
EXTERNAL COUNSEL AND REGULATORY COMPLIANCE CONSULTANT | TAXIFY | AUGUST 2017 – PRESENT
I was headhunted in 2017 following 10 years experience in licensing and regulatory matters to advise Taxify on their compliance and regulatory issues with local authorities and Transport for London (TfL). This role is ongoing.
EXTERNAL COUNSEL AND CASE PRESENTER | NMC | AUGUST 2017 - PRESENT
In order to expand my experience of professional regulation from a regulators point of view I accepted an external position as counsel for the NMC. I present their most difficult cases at the Edinburgh venue.
FOUNDING JOINT HEAD OF CHAMBERS | KINGS VIEW CHAMBERS | JUNE 2014 - PRESENT
Established in 2014, Kings View Chambers was set up to meet the changing demands of modern legal practice. While maintaining the best traditional aspects of a chambers, we make barristers the main point of contact for all clients - be they solicitors, businesses or members of the public. We have a team of specialist barristers covering a wide range of legal disciplines and accept instructions from solicitors and via direct public access.
The principles of Kings View Chambers are meticulous preparation, excellent client care and fearless advocacy.
Director of Finance and responsible for overall business strategy.
Joint responsibility for various training projects and solely responsible for the plan for direct access business strategy.
FOUNDING AND MANAGING DIRECTOR | LONDON LEGAL BARRISTERS | JUNE 2010 - PRESENT
London Legal is an organisation offering great value direct access representation by specialist barristers with singular expertise in their field. It was founded as one of the first three organizations taking advantage of direct/public access avenues or work when regulations opened up to allow the public to deal with and instruct counsel directly.
EXTERNAL EXAMINER/ASSESSOR AND PROFESSIONAL COURSES LECTURER | BPP | JANUARY 2015 – NOVEMBER 2016
Involved in all legal professional courses as listed above.
DEPUTY HEAD OF CHAMBERS AND CHAIR OF THE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE AND FINANCE COMMITTEE| HOLBORN CHAMBERS | OCTOBER 2010 – DECEMBER 2013
Took over as Head of the Management Committee and Deputy Head of Chambers with a specific brief to 'turn around' the financial state of chambers given the changing face of the legal profession.
Responsible for all day to day management of chambers including but not limited to finances, allocation of counsel, diary difficulties, resource allocation.
Responsible for senior management change and future planning within chambers covering all aspects of chambers.
BARRISTER | 1 GRAY’S INN SQUARE | OCTOBER 2007 – OCTOBER 2010
Completed pupillage and the first three years of practice.
Augmented a strong and busy practice in criminal defence, extradition law and licensing.
Assisted in the teaching of court skills and witness handling to LFB and Metropolitan Police.
Set up the first pupil “buddy” programme focusing specifically on the initial six weeks of pupillage and hand over.
PARA-LEGAL AND OFFICE MANAGER | ENNON & CO SOLICITORS | SEPTEMBER 2006 – OCTOBER 2007
Between completing the BVC and starting pupillage had responsibilities as outdoor clerk before being taken on full time in a paralegal role and expanded office management opportunities.
Developed in-house training for proper case management in line with compliance regulations.
Developed and led their first ever internal advocacy training programme initially to solicitors for Magistrates work and then preparing the way for HRA.
INTERIM MANAGER | VALE VIEW HOTEL & CONNECTED VENUES | SEPTEMBER 2005 – SEPTEMBER 2006
Having worked at these venues for over 8 years in holiday positions and part time work I was appointed interim manager in a transition period. The venues had been failed by management over a number of years and the decision was taken to allow a takeover of parts of the group whilst simply closing others. My role was to focus on the day to day management of the premises whilst external auditors and third parties came in to effect the break up.
DIRECTOR AND MANAGER | VARIOUS BUSINESS | SEPTEMBER 2004 – PRESENT
I have several business interests outside of the law including financial and management interests in the hotel and leisure industry as well as my own property portfolio.
Education and Qualification
- MA IN SAFEGUARDING ADULTS: LAW, POLICY AND PRACTICE | 2017-2019 | KEELE UNIVERISTY
- BAR VOCATIONAL COURSE - OUTSTANDING | 2005 -2006 | CITY UNIVERSITY, LONDON
- LLB LAW – HONOURS (2:1) | 2001-2004 | UNIVERSITY COLLEGE LONDON
- SECONDARY EDUCATION | 1994 -2001 | QUEEN ELIZABETH’S SCHOOL
ADVISOR AND CONSULTANT | CARDINAL HUME CENTRE | JANUARY 2014 – PRESENT
External probono consultant on any and all legal matters including public relations issues.
FOUNDER AND LEGAL DIRECTOR | LEGAL SURGERY CHARITY | SEPTEMBER 2010 – DECEMBER 2013
Founded the surgery at Holborn Chambers when Head of the Management Committee.
Much like the style of the CABx it sought to provide a one-stop Saturday shop for initial free advice to anyone regardless of income.
PUBLICIST AND LOBBYING ASSISTANT | KURDISH HUMAN RIGHTS PROJECT | APRIL 2002 – SEPTEMBER 2002
General junior responsibility for drafting news articles or submission papers.
Hobbies and Interests
- Fan of live music and classical music.
- Avid reader with keen interest in history and politics
Institute of Directors, Institute of Licensing, Middle Temple, Criminal Bar Association, South Eastern Circuit, National Landlords Association, Registered account holder with NICE and SCIE.
• Renowned for being “hands on”
• Expect a great deal of communication
• Direct and realistic advice
• Won’t guarantee things I cannot deliver
• Will not waste your time and money
• If I don’t think I can help you I will tell you.
• All the forensic intellectual skills of the experienced lawyer
• Strip down complex and challenging scenarios to their core essentials
• Professional discipline and processes provide foundation in research
• Analysis and likely impact as a means to derive effective action plans
• Accomplished leader who secures commitment, support and loyalty
• Invited to provide commercial and functional leadership
• Imposed authority on struggling organisations needing immediate guidance
• Engendered new sense of purpose and took not-always-willing colleagues along the path
• Possesses real insight into diagnosing organisational weakness
• Able to devise and deliver recovery strategies to achieve objectives
• Headhunted to rescue underperforming barristers’ chambers
• Built plans to secure the business by radical reform of all aspects of business
• Introducing new systems, a marketing culture and driving a sense of esprit de corps and shared mission
• Exhibits real entrepreneurial flair coupled with strong management expertise
• Responsibility for family’s property portfolio, ran a hotel in Ireland turning round its performance
• Devised and launched new services aimed at individual users of legal services – a direct-to-barristers offer that reduces cost by cutting out solicitors and a pro bono surgery to help people understand their rights.
• Possesses strong interpersonal skills
• A robust constituency in favour of change despite significant resistance
• Use one-to-ones to explain the options and the risk of doing nothing or not enough
• Laying out the cost, reputational and career downsides
• Clearly articulating the benefits of success
• Able to assess situations rapidly and accurately
• An innate skill of seeing to the heart of an issue, understanding it and then identifying strategies
• Sees solutions vividly and explains reasoning and preferred options with clarity and authority
• High level of people skills and authoritative personal presence
• Strong impression with clients and stakeholders alike
• Able to present complex data accessibly from the audience’s perspective
• Reliable ambassador who can be introduced to any stakeholders